Cambrian seeks tax relief for residence buyer

June 27, 2012

Cambrian College is asking the City of Greater Sudbury for tax relief for Campus Living Centres, a private company that has an agreement with the college to buy its residence buildings. Currently, Cambrian does not pay property taxes on its residences as they are considered to be government facilities, says Cambrian president Sylvia Barnard. Technically, once the residences are sold to a private company, they would be reassessed for how much property tax they should pay, Barnard says. If Campus Living Centres were to pay property taxes, Barnard says it would "result in an even greater increase in residence fees, an unfair burden on students, or limit the ability of the student body to afford on-campus housing." Northern Life