uSask to build 90-seat on-campus daycare centre

October 16, 2014

The University of Saskatchewan has announced it will build a new on-campus daycare centre to address demand. The new centre is expected to have room for 90 children and will be constructed as part of uSask’s College Quarter development. Earlier plans to develop a daycare at the site were put on hold in the spring while funding was secured. The University of Saskatchewan Students' Union (USSU) began calling for increased daycare spots in 2010; at the time the waiting list was 400 names long. According to the StarPhoenix, the waiting list now has nearly 700 names on it. Current daycares on campus provide room for 110 children. uSask has secured all necessary funding for the new daycare, with the SK government providing nearly $1.4 M. The child-care expansion committee has also been given permission from the board to explore further long-term possibilities for childcare expansion, including renovations to the existing USSU Childcare Centre. The project will go out to tender next month, with the daycare tentatively slated to open by 2016. uSask News | StarPhoenix

Postscript: April 6, 2015

Construction has begun on the new on-campus child care centre at the University of Saskatchewan, and the builder estimates that the project will be more than $200,000 under budget. The new facility will have space for 90 children, bringing the total child care spots on campus to 200. The $4.5 M centre is funded by the university and the provincial education ministry, and will be a one-storey building designed around the belief of the “environment as the third teacher.” “Child care availability is an important consideration for recruiting and retaining students, staff and faculty,” said Patti McDougall, VP Teaching and Learning. “It is also a particularly important factor affecting the accessibility of postsecondary education for Aboriginal students who have a demonstrated need for child care.” uSask has not yet determined how the new spaces will be allocated, but 75% of total daycare spaces will be reserved for children of students, with the other 25% for children of employees. uSask News | StarPhoenix