Top Ten

March 30, 2007

Tuition Freeze for Nova Scotia Universities

The Nova Scotia provincial budget offered some hope to PSE students at the province's schools: $22.9 million for universities, including a freeze on undergraduate, medical, dental, law and international tuition fees; a $500 tuition rebate for Nova Scotia students who study in the province; and the graduate tax credit was doubled from $1,000 to $2,000.  Student representatives are pleased with the freeze, but are disappointed in the province's failure to make good on a promise to reduce tuition by $1,000 over five years.  The Daily News

Investment In Aboriginal Education

Saskatchewan's Advanced Education & Employment Ministry has announced a $4.2 million investment in the province's Aboriginal and northern workforce.  A large part of the initiative will be a partnership with the Saskatchewan Indian Institute of Technologies, creating 180 new spots for First Nations learners.  Northlands College via the University of the Arctic and the Dumont Technical Institute, Gabriel Dumont Institute, First Nations University and other provincial programs are also recipients.  Saskatchewan News Release

uWinnipeg receives Highest Student Recommendation

uWinnipeg topped the Maclean's student survey in the 2nd annual student issue, released late last week. 95% of uWinn students who participated in the survey say they would recommend the school to others -- a higher rate than any other university in Canada.   uWinn ranked second across several other categories too, including 95% "satisfied with decision to attend," 94% "satisfied with quality of teaching," and 93% "academic experience intellectually stimulating." (uWinnipeg Email News Release)

Calgaryand McMaster place in International Trading Competition

University of Calgary' s team placed third in the Rotman International Trading Competition, placing ahead of 34 other teams from North America, Europe, Australia and China.   The competition spanned 3 days and involved simulated trading cases, outcry competitions, and an arbitrage pricing competition.  An American school took second, and McMaster's DeGroote School of Business took third.  McMaster News Release

Century Homes Give Way for uOttawa Expansion

uOttawa's Sandy Hill expansion has been approved by city council.  5 houses, two of which are more than 100 years old, will be demolished and four city blocks will be rezoned to make room.  uOttawa owns 87% of the land in the King Edward precinct that is being rezoned, and the remaining 13% is retained by private owners.  uOttawa explains that rezoning is necessary for the institution's long-term expansion plans. The Ottawa Citizen

uToronto Joins Accessible Software Initiative

The University of Toronto has signed onto IBM's Accessibility Common Courseware Exchange for Software Studies (ACCESS) -- a program that helps institutions develop and share course materials to teach students design techniques for software that people with disabilities can use comfortably. uToronto is the first Canadian school to join the initiative.  uIllinois, California State at Long Beach , Georgia Tech and Rochester Institute of Technology have also joined up.  IBM founded the project when a contest revealed that very few designers were considering the needs of disabled computer users when developing software.  IT Business

Long-Term Planning Governs Undergrad Choices

High school students across Ontario are starting to receive offers of admission. The Toronto Star interviewed a student who aspires to be a marine biologist someday soon. She says she is waiting for all her offers to arrive before making her decision: "For me, the university I choose must be 100% right for me, but balance my career goals and my social life."  Students are planning for the future and making their post-secondary choices based on how it will help them in four years, rather than in September 2007.  The Toronto Star

MHC announces Maximum Tuition Increase

Medicine Hat College, in southern Alberta,  has announced a 3.3% tuition increase for 2007/2008, the maximum increase allowed under Alberta's Tuition Fee Policy.  A 3-credit course will cost students $298.77.  Students have expressed some concern over the increase being at the maximum amount, and feel that even if the tuition cap had been higher, the school might have still increased as much as legally possible.  Brooks Bulletin